Old Googlers’ New Search Engine
Google’s old engineer Anna Patterson and her husband who works in IBM as a software engineer Tom Castello opened a new search engine called Cuil yesterday , After it was created , other engineers from Google called Louis Monier , who has created eBay’s search engine and worked in altaVista before, and Russel Power , who worked BEA systems and signed significant projects in there, were transferred to Cuil .
Cuil has indexed 121,617,892,992 web pages up to now , and its simple layout looks fine , heres the features i have just seen in Cuil :
- Background color is black , i think its because to make users consume less energy , as you know there are black alternatives ( not official ) of Google , because white background on a webpage makes your monitor consume more enegy than normal.
- Search results can be showed in 2 or 3 columns , which lets you see more results.
- There is a “Safe Search” option for non-adults. But enabling / disabling Safe Search option from result page is senseless , devil kiddies may turn it off and watch some goodies
- Its really fast , shows search results quickly.
- It shows extra information about your search term , and shows pictures next to results.
As you see , it has different features when compared to Google , but search results are not good , it shows irrelevant results for some search term for example it showed everything except my main page when i searched as “gosublogger” .
Also Safe Search does not work , when i searched p*rn while Safe Search was ON it showed me same results as it was OFF.
It cannot find itself , when i search as Cuil , it couldn’t show me itself .
Using Ajax on search engines makes Cuil cool , as a beginner its successful, i really liked it , it may take the place of Google before Yandex .